Online Communications Policy
5.0 Linkage Requirements
When the Web Working Group is notified via the LSU Web registry of a new or changed URL for an Official Web site, a link to the Web site will be established on LSU.EDU where appropriate, provided that all University policies and procedures have been adhered to. If a link cannot be established the unit Webmaster and contact person will be notified.
When the Web Working Group receives a notice to establish a link to an affiliated or unofficial Web site, the appropriate campus unit will be notified of the link request, provided that the "Standard Disclaimer for Affiliated and Unofficial Web sites" appears on the homepage.
5.1 Linkage (official, affiliated, and unofficial)
Any individual or unit wishing to have a links established on any LSU.EDU Web site must adhere to the policies and procedures relating to the classification of the Web site being linked to (i.e., official pages must follow all policies and guidelines established for official pages). When unit sites provide links to affiliated and/or unofficial LSU Web sites, the unit providing linkage should verify that the site displays the required disclaimer.
Affiliated and Unofficial Web sites residing on LSU.EDU servers and all LSU Student Organizations, must contain the Standard Disclaimer for Affiliated and Unofficial LSU Web pages. Before linking official unit Web sites to Affiliated or Unofficial Web sites, verify that the disclaimer is in place.
5.2 Linking to external sites
External sites are defined as Web sites that do not reside on servers owned by Louisiana State University or Web sites that are not managed by a University department. Servers residing in department locations outside of the Office of Computing Services are considered University servers.
When linking to external sites, all official unit Web sites must alert the site user that the selected link is no longer an lsu.edu Web site. For specific suggestions on external linking, see the "LSU Web Standards Manual."
Linking to external Web sites is permitted in the following situations:
- The link is to a professional association, governmental agency, educational institution, non-profit agency, etc.
- A for-profit business that has a recognized relationship with the University. The link must be approved by LSU Purchasing
When creating the link, the following conditions must be adhered to:
- External links must be identified and identified consistently within
a unit Web site. Notification of leaving lsu.edu can be provided to
the site user in several ways:
- text indicating a series of links are outside of lsu.edu
- forcing a new browser window to open when a link is selected. Note: If this method is being used to alert users that they are being linked to different unit site at lsu.edu, then another mechanism should be used to alert users that they are being linked to a site outside lsu.edu.
- a pop-up window with text indicating the selected link is outside of lsu.edu
- placing icons next to external links and providing a site legend explaining the purpose of the icon.
- Only text links are allowed. The use of logos on Web pages is prohibited unless a vendor contract has been approved through the LSU Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administrative Services.
Page last updated:
September 24, 2009