Flagship Faculty Archive
This Week in Pictures
To nominate an outstanding LSU faculty member for the Flagship Faculty honor, please e-mail the LSU Today.
The deadline to submit news items for the LSU Today e-mail newsletter is noon on the day prior to publication. Please enter calendar items on the LSU Master Calendar.
LSU is an equal
LSU Today Flagship Faculty
Earleene Sanders Alumni Professor of Choral Studies
Chair, Division of Ensembles and Conducting
College of Music & Dramatic Arts
What was your previous position and where?
I previously taught at the University of Illinois and Texas State University before coming to LSU.
What brought you to LSU?
I was fascinated with the rich history of the School of Music at LSU and felt that there was great potential to have an outstanding choral program both in performance as well as graduate degrees in choral conducting - Master of Music and Doctor of Musical Arts.
What is your research interest?
I’m interested is all aspects of performance practice as well as the performance of new and unknown literature of cultures all over the world.
What do you hope to accomplish at LSU?
I hope to continue to expand our degrees in choral conducting - currently eight in Doctor of Musical Arts program and 12 in Master of Music program - as well as continuing the performances all over the world with the LSU A Cappella Choir.
What do you enjoy most about LSU?
I enjoy the “personality” of the university as well as the diversity, intelligence and talent levels of the students who populate my classes and choruses.
What are your major accomplishments?
- Named as one of LSU’s Distinguished Professors;
- In January 2006, named a Distinguished Choirmaster by the Texas Choral Directors Association;
- Artistic Director/Conductor for the Linz International Choral Festival in Linz, Austria, where I annually conduct performances with the Festival Orchestra and Chorus;
- Conducted performances in some of the most prestigious performance venues in the world including Carnegie Hall in New York, Symphony Hall in Boston, the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, the Mozarteum and the Brucknerhaus in Austria;
- Prominent performances by my choirs include auditioned appearances for three national and seven divisional American Choral Directors Association Conventions, a national Music Educators National Conference convention, as well as performances for national meetings of the College Music Society, the Sonneck Society, the American Musicological Society and the American Society of University Composers;
- Conducted the LSU A Cappella Choir in invitational performances in Notre Dame and the Vatican, and in six successful European tours;
- Currently, 26 graduates of the Doctor of Musican Arts program are teaching in 19 different states and two foreign countries and 51 graduates of Master of Music program are teaching throughout the United States;
- Conducted invitational clinics including all-state and Honor Festival choruses, conducting master classes and conductor/teacher workshops in 41 different states and in Europe.