Change and Comfort
“The idea of growth and comfort do not co-exist… If you are going to grow, you will be uncomfortable. Just get that in your head… growth and comfort never co-exist. Never, never, never. This is true for people, true for companies, true for countries.”
-- Ginni Rometty, IBM Chairman, President & CEO
As stated above, organizational growth is never comfortable. With any growth, there is inevitably some growth pains. But is that discomfort a bad thing?
We say no. We encourage you to embrace the discomfort of growth and expand beyond your comfort zone with a few techniques.
- Identify what is holding you back
- Mingle with people outside of your normal circle
- Just Jump! List 3 things you’ve wanted to do and do them
- Get feedback from someone you trust
- Let go of a strong attachment
- Start an “out of my comfort zone” plan
Just remember, if you get out of your comfort zone and embrace change, there will be uncomfortable moments. But with those pains comes growth!