- Full-time employees (including faculty), and
- Full-time (100% effort) for at least one year, and
- Approval from immediate supervisor and department head
Click here for Revisions to PM-12: Educational Privileges, Educational Leave, and
- Provided for both undergraduate and graduate programs with the exception of online
degree programs, Vet Med program, MBA program and other higher cost programs.
- May register for job-related courses for up to 6 college credit hours per regular
- May register for job-related courses for up to 3 college credit hours for the summer
- Up to 3 clock hours per week per semester may be taken during work time without charge
to leave time, if approved by supervisor. If more than 3 hours are during work hours,
annual leave must be used along with supervisor approval.
- Exemption can be declined if employee receives two consecutive semesters with below
C grades. The next semester must be C’s or higher to regain exemption.
- All hours as described above are exempt from payment.
- Fees are not exempt (reimbursable) under this program. Employees are still subject
to pay all fees associated with the courses they are enrolled.
- Fees can be paid via payroll deduction (over the course of the semester) or deferred
payment (2 payments). This is done through your myLSU account, under “Registration
Services” and then “Defer pymt/Payr Deduct.”
Instructions for Automated Tuition Exemption Request
- Once logged into your myLSU account, you can initiate the exemption request by first
clicking on “Employee Resources” and then the “Tuition Exemption Request” link.
- The “Employee Information” section will automatically be populated with your information,
but you will need to complete all relevant course-related information in the “Class
Information” section. Once complete, click “Continue.”
- If you have not met the minimum eligibility requirements, you may either withdraw
the exemption request, or you will be given the opportunity to request an exception
to the eligibility requirements. If you have not met the eligibility requirements,
the system will automatically inform you why you are not eligible.
- An example of a rare exception is a when a department has adjusted an employee’s work
schedule (less than 100% effort) to accommodate for the disability.
- The next screen will have your class schedule automatically loaded. However, you
must select your supervisor and department chair’s name from the drop-down menu. If
all information is correct, the employee should click “Submit to Supervisor.” An
automated e-mail notifies the employee’s supervisor of the request.
- If your immediate supervisor’s name is not in the drop-down menu, you should check
the box that says “If your supervisor does not exist or the supervisor choice(s) are
incorrect, please check” and contact your department’s HR Contact to have them assign
a supervisor for you on HRS.
- If your class schedule requires you to miss more than 3 hours of work per week, you
must indicate in the box at the bottom of the screen. You will either submit a modified
work schedule or a statement indicating that you will use annual leave to cover any
time in excess of the weekly 3 hour allotment.
- Once the supervisor approves the request, the department chair receives an automated
e-mail notification. She/he will review and approve the request. Upon approval,
HRM will receive the request and processes the completed tuition exemption request.
Click here for Important Facts about the Automated Tuition Exemption Process