Disc & Belt Sanders Safety Rules
- Do not operate sanders without the guards in place.
- On the disc sander always use the downward motion side of the disc to sand. Never the upward motion side as this can throw your part upwards with tremendous force.
- Always attempt to place your work against the rest on the disc and belt sanders.
- On the horizontal belt sander, always sand, so that the belt motion is away from you.
- Do not operate machines with torn or ripped belts or disks.
- Do not sand any material that will give off a dangerous dust. Such materials as beryllium or copper beryllium alloys must not be sanded or filed. Asbestos must not be sanded. Asbestos is an ingredient of brake shoes and pads.
Safety goes beyond a set of information and rules to memorize. Safety is a culture. You live it by learning it, and learn it by living it ... so that you and others can go on living. SAFETY is very important!