The Cain Department of Chemical Engineering is committed to delivering the highest possible educational experience to its students. To further that end, we invite all who would like to share in this commitment to contribute to the Chemical Engineering Development Fund.
Make a Gift Now
You can make a gift online through the LSU Foundation's secure online giving site.
David M. Wetzel Fund
As many of you know, Dr. Wetzel retired in May 2016. On behalf of the Cain Department of Chemical Engineering, all of Dr. David Wetzel’s current and former students were invited to attend a special “Last Lecture” on Friday, April 22, 2016. His retirement came after over 40 years in academia, including the last 36 in our department. In my estimation, he taught over 3,000 students and graded nearly 30,000 exams. More than these numbers, he made a meaningful and positive impact in the lives of our students.
To honor professor Wetzel’s service, we established the “David M. Wetzel Fund” with the LSU Foundation. Depending on the level of funds raised, we plan to establish a special legacy award, such as a scholarship or professorship funded by his former students and colleagues. I encourage you to donate online or via check (make the check payable to LSU Foundation and enter “David M. Wetzel Fund” in the memo line, then mail to Cain Department of Chemical Engineering, 3307 Patrick F. Taylor Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803). The names of all donors will be included in duplicate plaques, one to be given to Dr. Wetzel and the other will be displayed in the new chemical engineering building. Such an award will continue to honor his legacy as a dedicated professor for generations of future students.
Your employer may have a program that will match your philanthropic gift. Click here to find out if your company matches charitable contributions.
Gifts of Stock
Learn more about making a gift through appreciated, marketable stock. Click here for more information.
Where to Send a Gift
If you prefer to mail your gift, please make checks payable to LSU Foundation and note in the memo line the area you would like to support (e.g., graduate student fellowships, undergraduate student scholarships, endowed professorships, or faculty development fund). Mail to:
Dr. John C. Flake, Chair
Cain Department of Chemical Engineering
3307 Patrick F. Taylor Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Ways Your Gifts Help the Department
- support for instructors with industrial experience for labs
- support for a chemical engineer/computer specialist for labs
- support for courses with computer software specific to chemical engineering
- equipment, computers, and supplies for undergraduate labs
- materials for undergraduate projects (e.g. undergraduate research, ChemE car competition)
- travel support for undergraduates to AIChE meetings/research conferences
- fellowships and assistantships for graduate students
- support for travel for graduate students to attend research conferences
- support for equipment maintenance, repair, and modifications
- support for travel expenses of invited seminar speakers to the department
- support for graduate student recruitment
- support for travel expenses for faculty candidate interviews
- start-up funds to attract new faculty
- laboratory and office renovations for new faculty
- graduate student support
- support for travel to research and educational conferences
- support for travel to build relationships with industry, potential research partners, and alumni
- summer salary for faculty who provide high levels of service to the department
- professorships that help supplement salaries and increase faculty retention
We appreciate your interest in the Cain Department of Chemical Engineering! Please give us a call if we can assist you with making a gift, learning more about the needs of the department, or any questions you may have. We are here to help. Contact Steve Covington Sr. Director of Development, at 225-578-3456.