Ensuring that students remain focused and on track to graduate in a timely manner is of the utmost importance. Not only do we want to see your student enjoy his or her time here, but we also want to make sure that they move on to successful careers. LSU is proud to have the highest graduation rate of any public university in Louisiana.
We understand that the first year of college can be especially challenging as students and families adjust to college life. LSU’s First Year Experience office exists to provide special support for students as they transition to their first year of college. LSU’s first-year retention rate for the fall 2008 entering freshman class was 83.6 percent.
You and your student may have questions about choosing a major, building a resume, gaining an internship and polishing up job interviewing skills. The LSU Office of Career Services exists to provide services to help guide your student down the best career path. Students do not have to wait until they are enrolled to begin using these services; they are available upon admission to The University.
The value of an LSU college diploma offers students a significant advantage as they apply to graduate programs or enter the professional work-force. LSU is officially designated as The Flagship Institution by The State of Louisiana, and we are proud to lead the state in higher education.
- The average ACT scores of LSU students are higher than any other Louisiana college or university.
- Our faculty encourage students to engage in research at the undergraduate level. LSU is the only university in Louisiana to hold the highest research ranking from the Carnegie Foundation.
- LSU is one of only 30 universities nation-wide to hold Land Grant, Sea Grant and Space Grant status.
- LSU is ranked in the top tier of national universities by US News & World Report and is also ranked in the top 16 most popular universities across the country.
- LSU’s official faculty to student ratio is 21 to one.