GCPA emPOWERing Women Scholarship
The Center for Energy Studies is pleased to announce the GCPA emPOWERing Women Scholarship. Provided by the Gulf Coast Power Association, the GCPA emPOWERing Women scholarship will be awarded to one female LSU student seeking a career in the electric power industry. Preference will be given to a student, at the sophomore level through post-graduate, focusing on electric power industry related fields of study. The scholarship is awarded in the amount of $2,500.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to at least one female who will be enrolled as a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student in the upcoming fall semester, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. While the award will preference either electrical or mechanical engineering majors, students from a variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply, provided they are able to show past and/or current dedication to a power-industry related career and/or past power industry-related research and/or coursework.
Application & Essay Requirements
Full and complete applications, including intent essay, must be submitted by March 30, 2018. Each applicant is required to submit an essay of no more than one single-spaced page of type expressing her educational and career goals as they relate to the electric power industry.
The award will be announced at the end of the Spring 2018 semester for the 2018-2019 school year.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
- Must be U.S. citizen or a foreign national with permanent residency.
- GPA/academic achievement.
- Essay: Quality of content and writing and interest in a power-industry-related career.
- Extracurricular activities related to or demonstrating past and ongoing interest in a power-related career.
- Recipient will agree to provide name, résumé, and contact information and agree that the essay submission will be made available to the public.
- Recipient will attempt to attend at least one Center for Energy Studies/GCPA event or another Center gathering, such as a conference or lunch meeting.