Download this chapter.

Undergraduate Degree Requirements • Regulations

LSU has the responsibility to protect its educational mission and the health and safety of its community and of the property therein, through regulating the use of University facilities and setting standards of scholarship and conduct for its students.

Because of its educational mission, the University also has the responsibility to carry out its disciplinary authority in a manner that contributes to the development and education of the student.

The disciplinary authority of LSU is derived from the provisions of the Louisiana Revised Statutes. These statutes established the Board of Supervisors and gave it the power to adopt rules and regulations necessary for the government of the University consistent with its mission and to adopt rules and regulations governing student conduct.



Each student is responsible for completing all requirements established for his or her degree by the University, college, and department. It is the student's responsibility to learn these requirements; a student's adviser or counselor may not assume that responsibility.

Any substitution, waiver, or exemption from any established departmental or college requirement or academic standard may be accomplished only with the approval of the student's dean. Exceptions to University requirements, including the general education requirements, will be authorized only with the approval of the student's dean and the Office of Academic Affairs.


The catalog that determines the curricular requirements for an undergraduate degree is the catalog that is in effect at the time of the student's entry. This catalog may be used for a maximum of 10 years provided enrollment is not interrupted for two consecutive semesters. Students whose enrollment is interrupted for two or more consecutive regular semesters may choose no catalog earlier than the one in force at the time of re-entry. Continuing students may elect a subsequent catalog when a new major is selected or when a catalog reflects a revised curriculum. Transfer students may use the catalog in effect at the time of their first entry into an accredited higher education institution, provided that the transfer to LSU is made within five years of the first entry.

The University will make a reasonable effort to honor the statement of curricular requirements in the chosen issue of the catalog. However, because courses and programs are sometimes discontinued and requirements are changed as a result of actions by accrediting associations and other external agencies, the University, having sole discretion, shall make the final determination whether or not degree requirements are met.

Note: Admission to LSU does not guarantee admission to a student's program of choice; many programs have highly selective admission criteria. Students follow the senior college program admission requirements in their catalog of entry into LSU. However, students transferring from another institution to LSU or from one major to another within the University must meet the program admission requirements in the catalog in effect at the time of transfer. Students are encouraged to obtain the most up-to-date and accurate information about requirements and changes at


  • A grade-point average of 2.00 ("A" = 4) on all work taken, except for those courses in which grades of "P," "W," or "I" are recorded, is required for graduation. In order to meet graduation requirements, students must have a 2.00 average on work taken at this University (all System campuses) as well as a 2.00 average on their entire college record.
  • Candidates for a bachelor's degree must earn at least 25 percent of the total number of hours required for the degree at this University and meet the residence requirements of their college as stipulated in each college's and school's section of this catalog.
  • After students have earned one-half of the applied credits required for a bachelor's degree, they may not use additional credits earned in a two-year college outside the LSU System to fulfill degree requirements, unless authorized to do so by the dean of their college or school.
  • Students must complete a general education component of 39 semester hours in approved courses in six major areas: English composition, analytical reasoning, arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. Each student must demonstrate computer literacy in ways deemed appropriate by the faculty of the senior college in which the student is enrolled. The "General Education Requirements" section of this catalog specifies approved courses and the regulations governing applicable credit.
  • Students should review specific curricula for precise degree requirements.
  • In addition to these minimum requirements, students must meet all special regulations established by the faculties of their respective colleges and listed in each college's section of this catalog.
  • Degrees, both honorary and earned, are conferred only by vote of the Board of Supervisors upon recommendation of the faculty of the University or the faculty of the appropriate college, school, or division of the University (all System campuses).

Comprehensive Academic Tracking System (CATS)

The Comprehensive Academic Tracking System (CATS) is designed to achieve academic success at LSU and assess student progress toward degree completion. CATS provides students with feedback on their progress in a major, and helps them to find the best academic path to complete their degree. Each degree program has a Recommended Path that is the optimal path for graduation in four years (or five years for a small number of degrees).

Students are tracked for the fall and spring semesters only. Summer terms and inter session are not tracked and can be used by students to complete tracking requirements that have not been followed. Students can review the Recommended Paths online at and assess their progress through their degree audits available through their PAWS accounts.

Critical Tracking Criteria

The critical-tracking criteria have been identified by departmental advisors for each major as the most important requirements that students must meet to be making minimal progress and stay on track in their major. This criterion is outlined in the Recommended Path for each major.

Minimum Academic Progress

Students must meet the critical-tracking criteria within the Recommended Paths to demonstrate minimal progress toward degree completion. Critical-tracking criteria typically include both critical courses and minimum gpa requirements. The critical courses appear in bold in the Recommended Paths.

All full-time incoming students are monitored to determine if they have met the critical-tracking criteria, regardless of the number of hours earned by the student through dual enrollment or credit by examination. Students who are undecided about their major must follow the critical-tracking criteria established within one of three general areas of interest: Sciences and engineering, arts and humanities, or social sciences and will be advised by the Center for the Freshman Year and required to select a major before scheduling courses for their third semester.

Assessments of Academic Progress

Two assessments run during the semester to determine if students are making minimal progress in their degree programs. Students will receive a PAWS e-mail notification if they are found not to be making minimal progress during a semester. This e-mail contains a link directing them to their PAWS desktop. This link will bring them to the CATS Status tab under Student Services. The two assessments are as follows.

The Mid-Semester Assessment occurs prior to course scheduling for the upcoming semester. This assessment determines if students are taking the critical courses required that semester. If critical requirements are not being met, a hold is placed on the students scheduling for the upcoming semester.

The End of Semester Assessment occurs after final grades are submitted. This assessment checks for all critical requirements, including grades in courses and the gpa; a hold is placed on the students scheduling if critical requirements have not been met. If the students have already scheduled for the next semester, they cannot make any changes to their schedules until they see an advisor. Students not meeting minimum gpa requirements are advised to seek guidance from the Center for Academic Success.

Note: Even though a student could possibly have two holds during the semester, this only counts for one total semester off-track.

Students Who Do Not Make Minimal Progress for Two Semesters

If a student is flagged for a second semester for not making minimal progress, in addition to the hold being placed on the student’s schedule, the student is required to meet with an academic advisor and select a new major that is more aligned with the student’s interests and abilities.

Resources Available to Help With Selecting a New Major

The Center for Academic Success offers study skills workshops and other sessions geared to improving overall academic performance and directing students to programs that would be a better fit for their needs and desires.

Career Services offers workshops and counseling assistance to help students select a new major.


An area of concentration is an alternative track of courses within a major, accounting for at least 30 percent of the major requirements. Establishment of an area of concentration does not require prior approval by the Board of Regents. Areas of concentration are avail-able within most undergraduate curricula. For additional information, see the curricula listed in the appropriate college chapter.

With the permission of the dean's office offering the concentration, students may earn multiple areas of concentration within a major. To do so, they must declare a primary area of concentration and fulfill all requirements for each area of concentration. Each declared area of concentration must include a minimum of six hours of course work that is unduplicated in any other area of concentration.


A minor is that part of a degree program consisting of a specified group of courses in a particular discipline or field. Establishment of a minor does not require prior approval of the Board of Regents. The minor usually consists of 15 percent or more of the total hours required in an undergraduate curriculum. Minors are established by departmental, school, or college faculties. Once a minor has been established, students are subject to the following rules and procedures:

  • When a student wishes to pursue a minor, the student must obtain permission from his/her dean’s office.
  • The course requirements for the minor, including prerequisites, as published in the LSU General Catalog, must be followed. Any substitutions in the minor must be ap-proved by the faculty advisor in the department of the college offering the minor and the student’s dean’s office.
  • A student following a particular catalog for the major field typically follows the minor requirements stated in the same catalog. However, exceptions must be approved by the student’s dean’s office.
  • A student must earn a minimum 2.00 gpa in the minor field, although some faculties may impose higher minimum gpa requirements.
  • Courses used to satisfy the minor may not be taken on a pass/fail basis, except with permission from the department and the student’s dean’s office.
  • Degree audits for minors will be verified by the college in which the student is enrolled. The minor should be declared no later than graduation check-out time. All course requirements for the minor must be completed by the time of graduation.

Earning Two Degrees, or One Degree with Two Majors

With the dean’s approval, a student may enroll in two bachelor’s degree programs concurrently, and thereby earn two degrees. A student also has the option to earn one degree with two majors listed on the transcript, provided all requirements are completed as of the same commencement.

A student may earn one degree, with two majors listed on the transcript, by completing the residence and academic requirements for each major and the degree program to which it belongs. The student may earn two degrees by, in addition, earning 30 hours more than required for the degree that requires the fewer number of hours.

If the two programs are in different colleges, then the student must be accepted for admission to both colleges and must adhere to the regulations of both colleges. The student must declare a home college, where registration will be initiated and permanent files maintained, and must maintain contact with the second college to ensure that satisfactory progress is being made toward the requirements of its degree program.

Requirements for a Second Baccalaureate Degree

Graduates who wish to obtain a second baccalaureate degree from this University must meet all academic and residence requirements set by the college(s) concerned and must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the work counted to meet the degree requirements of the first degree. Students may only earn one bachelor's degree at LSU with the same major field of study.

Procedural Requirements for Obtaining a Diploma

  • During the semester prior to the one in which graduation is anticipated, candidates must request that the dean of their college evaluate their academic records for compliance with degree requirements. (Each college establishes its own degree requirements, which are listed in that college's section of this catalog.) At the time of degree application, candidates must indicate how they wish their names to appear on the diploma and in the commencement program.
  • At their last registration, candidates must pay the graduation fee. Students should consult the current Registration Schedule of Classes for the deadline to receive a refund of the graduation fee. Students who previously have paid a graduation fee, but who did not graduate at the expected time, must pay a $20 duplicate diploma fee.
  • All financial indebtedness to the University (all System campuses) must be cleared prior to graduation. Students who received Stafford loans will be notified via U.S. mail, to complete an online exit interview.


Chancellor's Honor Roll

The Chancellor's Honor Roll is prepared each semester. Undergraduate students completing at least 15 college-level hours at LSU in the semester, with a semester gpa of 4.00 and no "I" grades for the semester, are included on the roll. Independent (correspondence) study courses will not be used to determine eligibility under the 15-hour requirement. Dean's List The Dean's List is compiled each semester. Undergraduate students completing at least 15 college-level hours at LSU in the semester, with a semester average of at least 3.50, but less than a 4.00, and no "I" grades for the semester, are included in the list. Independent study (correspondence) courses will not be used to determine eligibility under the 15-hour requirement.

University Honors

Students awarded the baccalaureate degree with honors must satisfy all requirements imposed by their colleges, schools, or departments. In addition, two gpas will be computed for each student: (1) on all work completed and (2) on all work completed at LSU (all System campuses). The lower of the averages will be used to deter-mine eligibility for Latin honors as follows:

  • summa cum laude if the gpa is at least 3.90,
  • magna cum laude if the gpa is at least 3.80,
  • cum laude if the gpa is at least 3.70.

Students in combined undergraduate, graduate, and professional curricula (medical, veterinary medicine, law, allied health) who earn more than 50 percent of their credits in an undergraduate college at LSU (all System campuses) with a gpa greater than or equal to 3.70 are eligible to receive their degrees with honors. To determine honors, the student's average at LSU (all System campuses) is weighted with the average furnished by the professional school.

University Medal

At each commencement, the University medal for "Highest Academic Achievement" is awarded to the undergraduate student (or students) graduating with the highest gpa, provided that more than 50 percent of the credits required for the degree has been earned at LSU-BR. Grade-point averages will be computed for (1) all work completed and (2) all work completed at LSU-BR, with the lower of the two averages determining eligibility for the medal.

Return to Top




Students must complete registration, including payment of fees as stipulated in the "Undergraduate Fees and Expenses" section of this catalog, to attend class. The Office of the University Registrar will provide evidence of registration to instructors. Students whose names are not on the official roster may not attend the class until officially registered for that class.

Approval to register by the student’s dean’s office is required after the official "final date for adding courses for credit" specified in the Academic Calendar.

Identification Cards

When first enrolled in the University, students are issued permanent photo identification cards (Tiger Cards) at no cost. The ID card is the property of the University and must be retained for each subsequent term of enrollment.

Lost or stolen ID cards must be reported to the Tiger Card Office, 207 LSU Union, as soon as the loss or theft is discovered. Students who do not report lost or stolen cards in a timely manner may be held responsible for any charges incurred on the cards.

Students who alter or intentionally mutilate a University ID card, who use the ID card of another, or who allow others to use their ID cards may be subject to University discipline.

A charge is assessed to replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated ID card, even if the student is reenrolling after an interruption of study. If a replacement card is issued, the original card is no longer valid.


Students are expected to keep the University informed of their current addresses. Students will be held responsible for communication from any University office sent to the most recent address(es) provided. Changes in address may be made by using PAWS, in deans' offices, or in the Office of the University Registrar.

Students may choose to withhold information from the Internet using PAWS and following the procedure listed.

Students' names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers are displayed on the PAWS directory. Students may withhold this information by using PAWS and following the procedure provided at that site.

First Class Meeting

Students who fail to attend the first class meeting without prior arrangement with the department may be dropped or required to drop the course to make space available to other students.

Students are responsible for ensuring that they have been dropped from the course; otherwise, they are liable for a grade of "F."


Students should observe any special attendance regulations stated by their college, school, division, or the instructor. The instructor may report a student's absences and the student may be placed on attendance probation by his or her dean. A student may be dropped from the college by violating the written terms of such probation.

An absence due to illness or other causes beyond a student's control will be excused when the instructor is convinced that the reason for absence is valid. The University's Policy Statement 22 discusses approved trips, activities, and other instances of excused absences.

Instructors will excuse any student who is unable to attend or participate in class or an examination on a religious holiday supported by the student's religious beliefs. It is the student's responsibility to anticipate such conflicts and discuss this with the faculty member well in advance.

Adding or Dropping Courses

To avoid schedule changes after the official registration period, students are encouraged to plan each semester's course work in consultation with academic advisors. Any schedule changes should be made as soon as possible after the beginning of classes.

Students may drop courses through the sixth class day without receiving a grade of "W." Students may add courses through the eighth class day. A "W" grade will be entered on a student=s record for any course dropped between the sixth class day and the final date for resigning from the University and/or dropping courses. Students should consult the academic calendar maintained by the University Registrar ( to determine deadlines each semester.

Within the limits of the following table, "W" grades do not affect a student's gpa; however, an excessive number reflects negatively on a student's record and involves substantial cost by way of tuition, books, room and board, and lost opportunities. To graduate in a timely manner, a student should complete at least 15 hours per semester and plan on attending at least one summer term.

Withdrawals cannot exceed the numbers allowed in the following table unless authorized by the dean of the student's college. Withdrawal allowances cannot be carried forward.

Hours Earned Withdrawals Allowed
Since August 2010
0- 59   3
60-119   3
> 119   1

Students may drop all courses by withdrawing from the University according to the guidelines in the section, "Resignation from the University." A resignation will not count toward the number of drops permitted. Courses dropped during summer term or intersession will not count toward the number of drops permitted. Hours Earned does not include advanced standing type credits with respect to this policy.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

Qualified LSU seniors may register for graduate credit with the recommendation of the undergraduate college dean, the approval of the appropriate department chair, and approval of the dean of the Graduate School. Superior undergraduates may also register for graduate credit under the "Accelerated Master's Degree Program." Requirements and regulations for both programs are specified in the sections, "Graduate Credit for LSU Seniors," and "Accelerated Master's Degree Program," found in the chapter, "Graduate School • Professional Programs," in this catalog.

Refer to the “Course Numbering System” section in the chapter, “Courses of Instruction,” in this catalog for additional information on enrollment for undergraduate credit in 4000- or 7000-level courses.

Registration of LSU Nonacademic Employees

Full time nonacademic (excluding faculty) employees, who have been employed at least one year, with approval from their department head or supervisor, may register for job-related undergraduate or graduate courses at any LSU System campus for up to six hours per semester and receive full tuition exemption. Only three hours per week of the approved job-related courses may be taken during work time without charge to annual leave. Continued participation in the tuition exemption program will be based on making satisfactory progress, as determined by the employee's supervisor. Satisfactory progress shall generally be interpreted to include completion of the course with a passing grade. (Please note that the provisions of this policy do not apply to specialized self-supported educational programs such as the Executive MBA Program. Employees should consult with the Chief Academic Officer on their campus to determine eligibility.)

Full-time nonacademic and other academic (excluding faculty) employees, during the first year of employment and with approval from their supervisors, may register, at their own expense, for a job-related course and be allowed to take the course during work time for no more than one hour per day up to three hours per week.

Cancellation of Registration

Students who drop all of their classes prior to the first day of class will have their registration canceled.

These students will receive a 100 percent refund (less the $10 nonrefundable registration fee), but they must apply to reenter the University before they can register for a subsequent semester or summer term.

Resignation from the University

A student may voluntarily resign from the University beginning with the first day of class through the final day for resigning shown in the "Academic Calendar." Resignation is initiated in the office of the student's academic dean. The student must obtain a resignation form and file the form with the Office of the University Registrar within 10 days after it has been endorsed by each administrative office indicated on the form. Resignation is not complete until the form is submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.

Students who absent themselves from the University without leave and without official resignation will not be assigned "W" grades and, at the end of the semester, normally will receive grades of "F" in courses for which they are registered.

Students who withdraw from the University without approval, or who are dropped from the University for any reason, may be ineligible for readmission for a semester or longer.

Return to Top


Year Classification of Students

The number of semester hours of credit earned determines a student's year classification, as follows:

Freshman • fewer than 30 hours
Sophomore • at least 30, but fewer than 60
Junior • at least 60, but fewer than 92
Senior • 92 or more
Exception • A student in a five-year program with at least 60, but fewer than 136 hours, is a junior; with 136 or more, a senior.

See “Course Numbering System” for regulations governing the level of courses students may take, based on their classifications.

Students are also classified as full-time or part-time in accordance with the following provisions.

Full-Time Students

  • Undergraduate—To graduate in four years, a student should complete at least 15 hours per semester and plan on attending at least one summer term. Undergraduate students who carry 12 or more hours of resident credit in a regular semester or six or more hours in a summer term are considered full-time.
  • Graduate—Full-time graduate students enroll in the Graduate School for at least nine hours of resident credit in the fall and spring (six hours in the summer term).

The benefits and privileges accorded to full-time students include: use of the Student Health Center; admission to certain athletic events on presentation of a valid University identification card; one subscription to The Reveille (newspaper), the Gumbo (yearbook), and the Legacy Magazine. Only full-time students will be approved for campus employment or may represent LSU in any athletic, dramatic, literary, musical, or other University organization.

Part-Time Students

Undergraduate students are classified as part-time if they schedule or drop to fewer than 12 hours of course work in a semester or fewer than six hours in a summer term. Criteria for part-time status in the Graduate School are available from the Graduate School.

Maximum Credit Load for Undergraduates

Each college establishes the number of semester hours of course work required in each year of its curricula. Registration for more than 19 hours of degree credit in a regular semester requires the approval of the dean of the student's college. Dean's approval is also required for registration for more than 12 hours in the long summer session, more than six hours in the short session, or more than 12 hours in a combination of summer sessions. With dean's approval, students may schedule up to six hours in an intersession.

Full-time students who are doing unsatisfactory work because of a heavy academic load may be required by their college dean to withdraw from one or more courses, provided such action does not change their full-time status. Such mandatory withdrawals do not count toward the student's number of permitted "W" grades.

Transfer Credit

The extent to which credit earned in other colleges and universities is accepted toward fulfilling degree requirements at LSU (including all campuses of the LSU System) is determined by the dean of college awarding the degree. Students may not receive credit for work taken concurrently at another college or university without prior written approval from their academic dean.

The Statewide Student Transfer Guide and Articulation System Matrices (Board of Regents' E-matrix) indicate transfer equivalences of courses among Louisiana's public colleges and universities and may be accessed through the Board of Regents' Web page at The matrices are not all-inclusive; there are additional courses that articulate between campuses. Students are advised to contact their dean's office or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions if they are unclear as to whether academic credit at other institutions is transferable.

Only work that is acceptable by the offering institution as baccalaureate degree credit is recognized. Credit earned in two-year technical or terminal degree programs which, when completed, results in an "associate in applied sciences" diploma may be accepted to the extent that the courses parallel baccalaureate degree work here, as determined by the appropriate department and subject to the normally applicable conditions.

After students have earned one-half of the credits required for a degree, they may not use additional credits earned in a two-year college outside the LSU System to fulfill degree requirements, unless authorized to do so by the dean of the LSU college or school. A maximum of one-fourth of the credit required for the degree may be earned through regionally accredited university correspondence study.

General Education Credit • Deans are to determine the applicability of transfer courses to a component of LSU's general education requirements.

If the college does not approve a transfer course for general education credit, the student may petition the Office of Academic Affairs for a decision.

Credit for Repeated Courses

A student may not repeat a course in which a grade of "C" or better has been earned unless the catalog description indicates that the course may be repeated for credit or the student's dean approves the repetition for some special reason. If a student registers for a course in violation of the above policy, the student's dean may deny degree credit for the course.

Unless otherwise stated in the course description, credit will be awarded only once for a course that is repeated. When students are permitted to repeat for credit a course previously taken in the LSU System, only the last grade determines acceptability of the course for degree credit. If a student receives a failing grade when repeating a course for which a passing grade had been previously earned, the student will lose the credit previously earned for the course. All instances of repeated courses are included in gpa calculations; however, degree credit may be awarded only for the last repetition.

Students who fail a course twice at LSU may not retake the course without approval from the dean of the student's major college. Appeals to enroll in a course after having failed the course twice need to be initiated immediately following the semester or summer term in which the second failing grade was earned, but no later than the first class day of the next semester or summer term enrolled.

Students who receive an "F" in a course must repeat the course in the LSU System in order to receive credit and quality points for it. With prior concurrence of the chair of the department in which the course is offered and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled, credit and quality points may be approved in individual cases for courses repeated outside the LSU System.


An enrolled student may be admitted to class as an auditor by obtaining written con-sent from the course instructor and the dean of the college offering the course. After scheduling the course, students must submit the required approvals to their deans' offices to change their enrollment from credit to audit. Other students who desire only to audit (and not to schedule any courses for credit) may obtain special enrollment forms from the Office of the University Registrar. Auditors will not receive credit for courses audited, although courses previously audited may later be taken for credit. See the section "Under-graduate Fees and Expenses" for a listing of fees for auditing courses.

Change in registration from audit to credit or credit to audit requires permission from the instructor of the course and the student's dean. Approval for change from audit to credit must be obtained no later than the final date for adding courses for credit as shown in the "Academic Calendar." A request for a change from credit to audit must be submitted no later than the final date for dropping courses without receiving a grade of “W.”

Correspondence (Independent) Study

A correspondence course grade will be posted to the transcript when the course is completed. If a student takes the final examination by the last day of the final examination period of a semester/summer term, the grade will be posted to that semester/term. If the final examination is taken after that date, the correspondence grade will be posted to the next regular semester or summer term. Correspondence grades will not be posted to Intersession. The grade will be used to determine academic action for registered students at the conclusion of that semester or summer term.

Return to Top


Credit Examinations

LSU System Credit • Students awarded advanced-standing or proficiency credit on other campuses within the LSU System can transfer that credit to LSU if the basis for awarding the credit is comparable to that on this campus. The student is responsible for requesting that the registrar on the other campus send an official transcript to the LSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions showing the credit earned.

Credit from Other Collegiate Institutions • Credit earned through departmental proficiency examinations administered by other accredited colleges/universities and listed on the official transcript is evaluated in accordance with policies applying to resident credit earned at those institutions. Grades earned through credit by examination are not included in the computation of the gpa.

Subject Examinations • Transfer students who have taken subject examinations in the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or who have participated in the Advanced-Placement Program of the College Board should have their examination scores sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation.

Transfer credit is not awarded for work or travel experience, except as validated through appropriate departmental proficiency examinations at LSU.

Credit by Examination • Credit by examination is limited to 30 semester hours and cannot be used to reduce the minimum residence requirement for graduation. With approval of the appropriate academic dean, credit earned through advanced-placement courses of the College Board will be excluded from the 30-semester-hour credit limit. Credit exams will not be used to meet the 15-hour requirement in determining honors or dean's list eligibility.

Proficiency Examinations • A limited number of proficiency examinations are offered through academic departments. Proficiency tests are considered equivalent to final examinations in college-level courses. Ordinarily, students must obtain permission from their academic deans and from the chairs of the departments offering the courses prior to taking the examinations. Students may apply for these tests at any time after they have been admitted to the University. Tests are administered subject to the conditions specified below.

  • The student must have been admitted to the University (includes all System campuses) and must be in good standing.
  • To initiate the examination, permission must be obtained from the appropriate dean and the chair of the department offering the course. After authorization is granted, the Office of the University Registrar will issue an Advanced-Standing or Proficiency Exam Grade Report upon payment of the required fees. No instructor may give a proficiency examination until he/she has received the official grade report.
  • Students must pay a fee of $20 for each examination in which credit by proficiency examination is being sought; an additional $20 processing fee is assessed for each examination administered by the Center for Assessment & Evaluation.
  • If a grade of "C" or higher is earned on the examination, a mark of "P" and regular credit in the course are entered on the student's transcript. If a grade lower than "C" is earned, only the fact that the examination has been attempted will be recorded; credit will not be allowed. A student may take a proficiency examination in a particular course only once.
  • Course credit will be posted to the semester that corresponds to the date entered in the date field on the Advanced-Standing or Proficiency Exam Grade Report, provided the student is enrolled.
  • Students are not permitted to schedule proficiency examinations in courses in which they have earned unsatisfactory grades.
  • Credit earned through proficiency examinations will not be used in computing the student's gpa.

Midsemester Examinations

The "Academic Calendar" shows the midsemester examination period. Faculty must report midsemester grades in all under-graduate courses. These grade sheets are available through PAWS.

Concentrated Study Period

The five-day period during the fall and spring semesters (Wednesday through Sunday) immediately preceding the week of final examinations will be set aside as a concentrated study period. During this time, no extracurricular student activities, such as social and athletic events, will be held on or off campus. Graded required course work (including exams, quizzes, and homework) may count for a total of at most 10 percent of the student's grade in the course.

Class projects that have been scheduled and placed on the syllabus within the first two weeks of the academic semester are exempt from the 10 percent limit. The assumption is that work on such a project will take place throughout the semester. Laboratory courses are also exempt from this policy.

Any other exceptions must receive prior approval from the Office of Academic Affairs. Students should report any violations of this policy to the Office of Academic Affairs.

Final Examinations

The final examination period will be comprised of six days (Monday through Saturday). Final examinations are required in all courses. When a final examination is inappropriate because of the nature of the course, exceptions to this requirement may be made upon approval of the appropriate department chair and dean/director.

Final examinations must be given during the published dates for the final examination period.

A final examination is defined as the last in a series of major tests specified in the course syllabus. It need not be comprehensive. If the course syllabus does not call for a final examination, the last major unit examination is to be considered the final examination and must be given during the final examination period. When a series of major tests is scheduled in addition to the final examination, the last of the major test series may not be given during the concentrated study period. Exams and performances in laboratory-type courses may be given or required during the concentrated study period.

A student who, because of illness or other valid reason, is absent from any final examination may take a special examination only with authorization of the dean of the student's college.

Return to Top


Faculty members must provide the University and the student with an individual evaluation of each student's work. At the beginning of each semester, faculty members must distribute written course syllabi in all courses, graduate and undergraduate, clearly stating the relative weight of the component factors of the final grade. Additionally, in 4000-level courses in which instruction of undergraduates for undergraduate credit and graduate students for graduate credit is combined, syllabi should clearly set forth any different expectations of performance by students in the two groups (beyond the expectation of a 2.00 minimum gpa for undergraduates and a 3.00 minimum gpa for graduate students).

On request, faculty should provide to students a review of all graded material, including final examinations, that contributed to the course grade and a review of the method by which the grade was determined. Final grades may not be lowered to reflect a student's poor class attendance.

Unreturned examinations and other graded material should be kept on file for at least six months following the end of the academic term. Faculty members who leave the campus during this period should file all course material in their departmental offices.

It is the right and responsibility of faculty members to determine and assign the grade for each student enrolled in their courses beyond the final date for withdrawing with a "W," as specified in the "Academic Calendar." The instructor's assignment of a grade is final; the grade may not be changed or altered except through the academic appeal procedure, following appropriate investigation.

In extraordinary circumstances that make it impossible for the instructor to fulfill the responsibility of determining a course grade, the department chair shall assign the grade. In such a case, the department chair may elect to award the grade of "P" (Pass). This "P" grade would be excluded from the normal limits on use of the pass-fail option indicated below. Re-examination, special examinations, extra-credit projects, or extra laboratory hours cannot be made available to an individual student unless the same options are available to the entire class.

Undergraduate Grades

  • Grades of “A,” “B,” and “C” are assigned for satisfactory work. A grade of "A" indicates distinguished mastery of the course material; a grade of "B," good mastery; a grade of "C," acceptable mastery. A grade of "D" indicates minimally acceptable achievement for credit; in some colleges a grade of "D" in certain courses does not allow that credit to be applied toward the degree. A grade of "F" is failing. A grade of "P" (pass) denotes satisfactory completion (grade of "C" or better) of advanced- standing or proficiency examinations, pass-fail option courses, and certain other courses. A grade of "NC" (no credit) indicates that no credit is earned.
  • Grading scale—A student's gpa is deter-mined by the ratio of quality points earned to semester hours attempted. Quality points are assigned to letter grades using the following scale:

    “A” = 4 quality points;
    “B” = 3 quality points;
    “C” = 2 quality points;
    “D” = 1 quality point;
    “F” grades carry no quality points.

Grades of “P,” “W,” “I,” and “NC” are not used in computing the official gpa and, therefore, do not carry quality points.

All courses taken for which grades of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” or “F” are assigned, including repeated courses, are considered in calculating gpas.

  • “W” grades—A "W" will be entered on a student's record for any approved course dropped within the dates specified in the "Academic Calendar." In extraordinary cases, upon written petition, the dean of the student's college may authorize a resignation and/or a drop from a course after the last date specified.
  • “I” grades—Work which is of passing quality but which, because of circumstances beyond the student's control, is incomplete, may be marked "I" (incomplete). An "I" grade may be assigned for undergraduates only if the instructor receives appropriate authorization from the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. If authorization is not received, the instructor is to consider the delinquent work to be of failing quality, and an "I" grade may not be assigned. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate the request for the academic dean's authorization. An "I" grade will be converted to "F" unless it is removed during the next regular semester in which the student is in residence in the LSU System prior to the deadline for adding courses for credit, as specified in the "Academic Calendar." In extraordinary cases, the dean of the student's college may authorize that the "I" grade become permanent, or that an extension of time for removing the grade be allowed.
  • Grades earned in courses offered by the Hebert Law Center, the School of Medicine, the School of Dentistry, and the School of Veterinary Medicine shall not be considered in computation of the gpa of an undergraduate student unless approval is given by the dean or director of the student's college/school to permit the student to use the professional courses as electives or to pursue a combined curriculum.

Computation of the Grade Point Average

For all academic purposes, gpas shall be specified to three significant figures (two decimal places), with the last figure to reflect rounding from a four-significant-figure average (three decimal places) where possible. If the third figure after the decimal point is equal to or greater than five, upward rounding shall occur. If the third figure after the decimal point is less than five, it shall be dropped, regardless of what the fourth or subsequent figures may be. Thus, 3.9550 becomes 3.96, and 3.9549 becomes 3.95. In calculations to determine relative rank in class, a student's average may be carried to three decimal places. Regardless of the results of rounding, no student shall be deemed to have graduated with a "4.00" average if any grade other than "A" or "Pass" for courses completed appears on the transcript.

Any gpa cited to only one decimal place (as 2.0) shall be construed to mean, mathematically, a figure accurate to two decimal places (as 2.00), regardless of the text.

Pass-Fail Option for Undergraduates

Some courses have been approved to be graded pass-fail for all students enrolled. In courses with regular grading, students may petition for the pass-fail grading option, subject to the guidelines indicated below. In all undergraduate courses with pass-fail grading, the grade of "P" will be given for work of "C" quality or better. The grade of "F" will be given for work below "C" quality.

Students may be registered in several courses regularly graded pass-fail during a given semester and still elect to take an additional course under the pass-fail option program.

Courses passed with a grade of "P" may be offered for degree credit, but the grade will not be considered in computing the gpa. An "F" in a pass-fail course will be treated as any other "F," both with regard to credit earned and to gpa calculation.

Limited use of a pass-fail option is permitted at the discretion of the individual colleges and schools, subject to the following policies.

  • The pass-fail option is available only to those students whose gpa in the LSU System is 2.50 or better.
  • The pass-fail option is allowed only for unrestricted electives or other courses approved by the student's major department.
  • No more than 12 semester hours of degree credit in the pass-fail option program are permitted; pass-fail enrollment may not exceed one course per semester, excluding those courses normally graded pass-fail.
  • Enrollment under the pass-fail option pro-gram must have the prior approval of the instructor, the chair of the student's major department, and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled.
  • Through the last day to add courses for credit, students may, with appropriate approval, change from pass-fail to graded status and vice versa. No change in the grading option may be made after the last day for adding courses for credit.

For information about the pass-fail option for graduate students, see the "Graduate School- Professional Programs" chapter.

Pass-Audit Option

The pass-audit option is available only for high school students who participate in a dual enrollment course. This option is not available for any on-campus courses or instruction. Dual enrollment courses can be approved by the respective on-campus department and the dean to be graded pass-audit. In all dual enrollment courses with pass-audit grading, the grade of “P” will be given for work of “C” quality or better. At the end of the course, the enrollment status of high school students whose work is below “C” quality will automatically be reflected as “AU,” or audit. Auditors will not receive credit and courses previously audited may later be taken for credit. Courses passed with a grade of “P” may be counted for degree credit, but the grade will not be considered in computing the student’s gpa. Students are permitted to earn a total of no more than 12 semester hours of degree credit in pass-audit dual enrollment courses. For students admitted to a pass-audit dual enrollment course, a change from pass-audit to graded status is not allowed.

Grade Reports

Final and midsemester grades are available through PAWS. If there is a change in their academic status, provided their financial accounts with the University (all System campuses) are current, reports of final grades are mailed to students at the end of each semester and summer term. Other students may request, via PAWS, that the Office of the University Registrar mail them reports of their final grades.


Upon written request and via PAWS, former and currently enrolled students may obtain complete transcripts of their academic records, provided they are current in their financial obligations to the University (all System campuses). Requests must include the signature of the student. Partial transcripts are not issued. Normally, two days of processing are required after the transcript request is received. At the beginning or end of a semester, considerably more time is required. Telephone requests for transcripts cannot be honored.

Privacy of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records:

  • The right to inspect and review the student's educational records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

Students should submit to the University Registrar, academic dean, Dean of Students, or other appropriate University official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

  • The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  • The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. All students' educational records are open to the Chancellor, the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, the vice chancellors, the academic deans and directors, and the Dean of Students.

In addition, the following individuals are also LSU officials:

  • A person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position, including health and medical staff, teaching assistants, and student assistants
  • A person appointed by the Board of Supervisors
  • A person employed by or under contract to the University to perform a special task, such as a University attorney
  • Appropriate administrators or staff of the LSU Alumni Association, Tiger Athletic Association, and LSU Foundation who require access to educational records to perform their legitimate educational duties, when such records are needed in the furtherance of the educational or business purposes of the student or University
  • A person employed by the LSU Police Department

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official acts in the following capacities: performance of a task that is specified in his or her position description or contract agreement, related to a student's education or to the discipline of a student; provision of a service or benefit relating to the student or the student's family; or maintenance of the safety and security of the campus.

Upon request, the University discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks to enroll, intends to enroll, or has enrolled, and agencies and offices administering financial aid.

  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures of LSU to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605

Students' FERPA rights go into effect at the time they register.

FERPA also affords parents of dependent students (as defined by section 152 or the Internal Revenue Code of 1954) the right to inspect and review the students' records. Requests to review dependent students' records should be made to the Office of the University Registrar.

Copies of the University's Policy Statement 30 concerning FERPA may be obtained on the LSU Web site and from the Office of the University Registrar. For additional information regarding FERPA, contact the Office of the University Registrar at 225-578-1696 or

Directory information is defined as the student's name, local address, telephone number, home address, and e-mail address; date and place of birth, major field of study and classification; activities and sports; weight and height (members of athletic teams); dates of attendance; degrees, awards, and honors received; and the most recent educational institution attended by the student.

Students who wish to withhold information in these categories should complete the appropriate form available from the Office of the University Registrar indicating that directory information is not to be released. The hold will remain in effect until the student requests that it be lifted. Only currently enrolled students may place a hold on the release of directory information.

Return to Top



Gpa • Grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted. For example, a student who has attempted 46 hours and has earned 122 quality points has a gpa of 2.65.

Overall gpa • The cumulative gpa is calculated on work attempted at all colleges and universities attended.

LSU System gpa • The LSU System gpa is calculated on all work attempted at LSU and at any other institution in the LSU System.


The following university scholastic requirements apply to all students, except those enrolled as "visiting" students. For details regarding the use of correspondence study grades to determine scholastic standing, refer to the "Undergraduate Admissions & Student Aid" section of the catalog. Courses taken at Southern University through the LSU-SU Cooperative Program, and Baton Rouge Community College through the LSU-BRCC Cross-Enrollment Program, are recorded as transfer credit. Credit taken through these co-op programs are calculated in only the cumulative gpa.

A student on University Scholastic Warning, Probation or Drop will have a notation of the academic status recorded on the official LSU transcript.

University Scholastic Warning

At the end of the fall or spring semester, intersession, or summer term, students will be placed on University Scholastic Warning if their gpas are one to nine quality points below a 2.00 on all work attempted or on all work attempted in the LSU System. A notation to that effect will be recorded on their transcripts. Students will remain on University Scholastic Warning until they bring their gpas up to 2.00, or are placed on University Scholastic Probation.

University Scholastic Probation

At the end of the fall or spring semester, students will be placed on University Scholastic Probation if their gpas are 10 or more quality points below a 2.00 on all work attempted or on all work attempted in the LSU System. Students will remain on University Scholastic Probation until they have cumulative averages of 2.00 or higher on all college work attempted and on all work attempted in the LSU System.

Students who have been removed from University Scholastic Probation will be placed on probation again at the end of any fall or spring semester in which their LSU System or cumulative averages are less than 2.00.

University Scholastic Drop

Students on University Scholastic Probation will be dropped from the University at the end of any fall or spring semester if their semester average is less than 2.00 on either all work attempted or on all work attempted in the LSU System.

Students dropped for university scholastic deficiency may enroll, with permission of their dean, in the summer term at LSU. If their quality point deficits are totally removed during the summer term, they may petition their dean to allow them to enroll for the fall semester. Students who remove their quality point deficiency and complete all degree requirements may not graduate at the end of the summer term. They must register for degree only during the subsequent fall semester and receive their degrees at December Commencement.

Students in University Scholastic Drop may not apply toward LSU degree requirements credit earned at any institution, including LSU correspondence study, during the period of their ineligibility to enroll at LSU.

The Summer Term/Intersessions

Students cannot be placed on University Scholastic Probation or dropped from the University on the basis of work taken during the summer term or an intersession. They can, however, be placed on University Scholastic Warning status.

Work taken during the summer term can result in students being removed from University Scholastic Warning status, Scholastic Probation, or Scholastic Drop status.

Work taken during an intersession can result in students being removed from University Scholastic Warning or University Scholastic Probation.

Re-entry after Scholastic Drop

Students dropped for the first time for academic reasons can be considered for read-mission when they have been out of the University (all LSU System campuses) for one regular semester.

Students dropped the second or subsequent time for academic reasons must remain out of the University (all LSU System campuses) for one calendar year.

In either instance, readmission may be delayed or denied at the discretion of the dean of the college in which the student desires to enroll. Students entering the University after University Scholastic Drop will be admitted on University Scholastic Probation. Reinstatement after a University Scholastic Drop (see "Appeal of Academic Ineligibility to Enroll") will not remove the drop notation from the transcript.


Students may also be placed on College Scholastic Probation or College Scholastic Drop status on the basis of unsatisfactory progress toward meeting the specific requirements of their academic program. College Scholastic Requirements differ from University Scholastic Requirements in that they apply only while a student is enrolled in the college that imposed the academic action. College Scholastic Probation and College Scholastic Drop are not noted on the official LSU transcript. Students should refer to the college sections for regulations regarding college academic action.

Academic Bankruptcy

Under specified conditions, undergraduate students who have interrupted their college careers for a period of at least five consecutive calendar years may, at the time of application for admission to the University, declare academic bankruptcy. Under this policy all college work taken at an earlier date is eliminated from computation of the grade-point average and cannot be applied toward a degree at LSU. Such work will remain on the student's scholastic records and transcripts, but will not be used in the computation of the grade-point average for honors or the University Medal. It may, however, be used to compute the grade point average for admission to graduate and professional study.

Students qualifying for academic bankruptcy will be admitted on scholastic probation. Details of this policy may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Return to Top


Appeals of final grades must be initiated by the student by requesting in writing or actually attending a meeting with the faculty member who assigned the grade at issue within 30 calendar days after the first day of classes in the next regular semester. The procedure is as follows:

  • The student must meet with the faculty member concerned to discuss the situation and attempt to arrive at a solution. Although each may have an advisor present, it is believed that under most circumstances, the meeting will be more productive if only the student and the faculty member are present. To the extent an advisor is utilized at this or any stage of the procedure, the advisor is not allowed to argue, advocate, make statements, present information, question witnesses, or raise objections on behalf of either party.

If the faculty member is on sabbatical leave or is otherwise unavailable, his/her place will be taken by a faculty member appointed by the department chair or his/her designee. The faculty member must inform the student of his/her decision within seven calendar days. If the decision reached requires change in an official University record, the faculty member must comply with all University regulations and procedures necessary to accomplish the change.

If an administrative officer (department chair, dean, executive vice chancellor and Provost) is the faculty member who assigned the grade that is appealed, that officer should recuse himself or herself from the appellate process in any capacity other than as the faculty member who assigned the grade; his or her place in the procedure will be taken by a faculty member appointed ad hoc by the executive vice chancellor and provost or the chancellor, as appropriate.

A change of grade is accomplished by filing a "Grade Correction Report." A satisfactory reason for the change is "academic appeal." The department chair and/or the student's dean (dean of the college in which the student is enrolled) may request documentation of the facts of the matter to facilitate any decision with respect to approval of the grade change..

  • If the matter is not resolved between the student and the faculty member, and the student wishes to pursue the appeal, he or she shall make a written request to the chair of the department in which the course was taught asking for a meeting of the department chair, the faculty member, and himself or herself. The faculty member will provide the name of the appropriate department chair. The written request should clearly state the purpose of the meeting and should indicate the faculty member's name; however, it should not go into detail as to justification for the appeal. This request must be submitted within 45 calendar days after the first day of classes of the next regular semester.

The department chair shall arrange a meeting within 14 calendar days from the date of receipt of the request. At this meeting, both the student and the faculty member may be accompanied by a advisor. At the close of the meeting, or within seven calendar days thereafter, the department chair shall make a decision. If a decision is made at the close of the meeting, it is to be given orally to all present. If the matter is taken under advisement, the department chair shall inform all parties, including the student's dean, of his or her decision in writing. If the decision reached requires change in an official University record, the faculty member must comply with all University regulations and procedures necessary to accomplish the change.

  • Either the student or the faculty member may appeal the decision reached by the department chair to the dean of the college in which the department offering the course is located. The dean's name will be furnished by the department chair. Appeals concerning courses numbered 8000 or above should be directed to the dean of the Graduate School.

The appeal must be in writing and must be submitted within 14 calendar days after notification of the department chair's decision. The appeal must contain the following information: (1) a statement of the actions(s) complained of; (2) the relief requested; and (3) a specific statement of the reasons supporting the relief sought.

Upon receipt of the appeal, the dean must promptly forward copies to the department chair and the other party concerned, who must promptly reply with individual written statements supporting their positions. Copies of the written replies must be forwarded to the appellant.

When the replies have been received from the department chair and the other party, the appellant may choose one—and only one—of the following options: (1) the dean will decide the question on the basis of the written appeal and the written replies from the other party and the department chair; (2) The dean will meet with all parties concerned, who may be accompanied by advisors if desired, and, after discussion, reach a decision; (3) The student, the faculty member, or the department chair may request that the dean refer the appeal to a hearing panel for its recommendation. Such a request must be made when the appeal is submitted to the dean.

Hearing panels to consider grade appeals will be appointed by the dean and shall be composed of three faculty members selected by the dean, with no more than two from the same department, and two students appointed by the president of the college's student governing body. The dean should designate the chair of the panel.

The panel shall hold a hearing with the department chair, the faculty member, and the student, each of whom may be accompanied by an advisor. After deliberation, the panel will make its recommendation in writing to the dean. Copies of the recommendation, and the dean's final decision, must be given to all parties, including the student's dean.

Regardless of the method used, the dean must make his or her decision within a reasonable time from the date of receipt of the appeal. The decision must be written, listing the reasons supporting the decision; copies must be given to all parties, including the student's dean. If the decision requires change in an official University record, the faculty member must comply with all University regulations and procedures necessary to accomplish the change.

  • Any party to the appeal who believes that a serious procedural error occurred or that there was an abuse of discretionary authority in reaching the decision, he or she may file with the executive vice chancellor and provost a written petition for review. This petition, which must be filed within seven calendar days after receipt of the decision, must contain a complete statement of the alleged serious procedural error, or examples of abuses of discretionary authority complained of, and also must contain reasons for the relief sought. The petition must be accompanied by all documents produced in the appeal. Copies should be sent to all parties to the appeal and to the student's dean.

The executive vice chancellor and provost or the provost's designee shall decide within 30 calendar days after receipt of the petition whether further action should be taken. In reaching this decision, he or she may ask other parties to the appeal to make written replies to the request for a review, or these parties, on their own, may make written replies. If the decision is reached that a review is not justified, the student and all other parties, including the student's dean, will be so notified.

If the executive vice chancellor and provost or his or her designee decides to respond favorably to the petition for review, he or she may hold a formal meeting with all parties and their advisors, interview any persons who may have relevant information, and/or review and consider any related records or documents.

Once a decision is reached, the executive vice chancellor and provost will notify all parties, including the student's dean, of his or her decision. The decision of the executive vice chancellor and provost shall conclude the matter, subject to the right of the chancellor to review the case. The chancellor will consider the case only on the basis of a petition for review following the procedure outlined above.

This grade appeal procedure is an academic process designed to provide students with the ability to appeal a final grade only. Interim grades and grades on particular exams, papers, projects, and other assignments may only be appealed to and discussed with the faculty member who assigned the grade. Any questions, regarding the interpretation or implementation of the grade appeal procedures shall be resolved by the executive vice chancellor and provost or his or her designee.

Appeal of Academic Ineligibility To Enroll

An undergraduate student dropped from the University because of scholastic deficiency may appeal the ineligibility based on extenuating circumstances. Such appeals must be submitted to the office of the student's dean at least seven calendar days prior to the beginning of the semester/summer term in which the students wishes to enroll. The appeal should be in the form of a letter to the dean, accompanied by documentation of the extenuating circumstances.

Appeals may be reviewed by the dean or, at the option of the dean, by a college committee established for that purpose. In the latter case, the committee will make a recommendation to the dean. Final authority in the college rests with the dean. If the appeal is approved:

  • the student is eligible to enroll at LSU on academic probation for the next semester/ term;
  • the dean may set conditions based on the student's situation, which may include specific academic requirements the student must meet. The student will be informed of any conditions in writing; and
  • the student's transcript will carry a notation that the student was dropped but reinstated, based on appeal.

If the dean denies the appeal, the student may submit it to the Office of Academic Affairs for review, along with a statement of the reasons why the Office of Academic Affairs should consider the appeal. Final authority rests with the executive vice chancellor and provost.


Standards of Conduct

Accountability procedures for students are outlined in the Code of Student Conduct. Rules and regulations governing student organizations, activities, and conduct may be accessed at The Office of the Dean of Students has administrative responsibility for coordinating all University accountability procedures for students. Students who are charged with violations are provided prescribed rights, which include the right to a notice and a hearing. Additional details regarding standards of conduct may be found at:

Return to Top