Campus Life requires all registered student organizations to find and retain a primary advisor who is currently a full-time faculty or administrative staff member on the LSU Baton Rouge campus. This is a requirement to start a new organization and remain on active status. Student organizations may also have additional advisors.
If Greek organizations have a Chapter Advisor, the Chapter Advisor must review all event requests on the Student Org Community before they are given final approval by Greek Life.
More information for advisors can be found in the Student Organization Policy Manual.
The following duties are required of student organization advisors by Campus Life:
- Verify the organization’s founding documents and agree to the terms of the University’s Hazing Policy (PS 108) by signing the Advisor Agreement.
- Verify the organization's officer information online through the Student Org Community and agree to the terms of the University’s Hazing Policy (PS 108). A summary of PS-108 is available in this handbook. A full version is located on the Campus LIfe website under the Student Organization "Policies and Procedure" section.
- Sign reservation forms for University space and equipment with the appropriate University department granting the reservation.
- Review online registration forms through the Student Org Community.
- Verify the organization's information on ORF, PSIF, and Student Senate funding requests.
- Verify the organization’s president and treasurer information on the organization's checking account.
- Attend the Advisor EDGE Certification once every three years. The Advisor EDGE Certification focuses on training and developing student organization advisors. EDGE stands for Engagement, Development, Guidance, and Education. These are four areas that will be expanded upon at the training, which will be held three times per semester. This training is required for new advisors and must be completed by current advisors once every three years due to changes in policies and procedures.