Igor M. Sokolov, Ph.D.
Present address (USA):
Laboratory of Insect Pathology,
Department of Entomology
Louisiana State University Agricultural Center
402 Life Sciences Building,
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Position: postdoctoral researcher
Telephone: (225) 57872-24 FAX: (225) 578-16-43
Permanent address (Russia):
All-Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection
Podbelski schosse, 3
St. Petersburg Pushkin
Position: leading researcher
FAX: 7 + (812) 470-43-62
Graduated from: St.Petersburg State University, Biology Department, Entomology Chair, 1980.
Postgraduate study: All-Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection:1987 - 1991.
Supervisor: Prof.Dr.Sci. V.I. Tansky
Ph.D. degree (Entomology): All-Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection, 1996.
RESEARCH INTERESTS: Anthropogenic factors in pests population dynamic; impact of pesticides on non-target arthropods; coevolution of phytophagous beetles and their host-plants; IPM; taxonomy of Bembidiini (Carabidae; Coleoptera).
SELECTED EXPERIENCE: 2000 April - up to now - leading researcher with permanent position in the Laboratory of agrobiocoenology, All-Russian Institute for Plant Protection, St.Petersburg-Pushkin; 1997 December - 2000 April - head of the Laboratory of the Agrobiocoenology, All-Russian Institute for Plant Protection, St.Petersburg-Pushkin; 1993 January - 1997 November - researcher with permanent position (Laboratory of the Agrobiocoenology, All-Union Institute for Plant Protection, St.Petersburg-Pushkin); 1987 February - 1993 January - junior researcher with permanent position (Laboratory of the Agrobiocoenology, All-Union Institute for Plant Protection, Leningrad - Pushkin); 1983 September - 1987 February - technician (Laboratory of Agrobiocoenology, All-Union Institute for Plant Protection, Leningrad - Pushkin); 1982 December - 1983 September - technician (Laboratory of Insect Taxonomy, Zoological Institute of Academy of Sciences of USSR, Leningrad ); 1981 November - 1982 November - technician (Laboratory of Plant Resistance, All-Union Institute for Plant Protection, Leningrad - Pushkin).
Ph.D. DISSERTATION: Cereal leaf beetle on winter wheat: colonization, distribution and harmfulness on crops. - 1996- Ph.D. Dissertation. All Russian Research Institute for Plant Protection. - St.Petersburg-Pushkin.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS: Russian Entomological Society, Association for Applied Acridologists International (AAAI).
SPECIAL SKILLS: collecting, preparing and sorting the insect material, taxonomic treatment of insects, including genitalia dissections and preparations, cultivation of insects, field and laboratory experimental design, statistical treatment of data, population dynamic modelling.
INVITATIONAL PRESENTATION (ecotoxicology):
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Advanced Research Workshop "Acridogenic and Anthropogenic Hazards to the Grassland Biome: Managing Grasshopper Outbreaks without Risking Environmental Disaster," Estes Park, CO, September 1999.
First Annual Workshop of the Association for Applied Acridology International on "New Methods in Locust Control" (Canberra/Griffith, Australia, November 1999).
International Conference on Locust and Grasshopper Management in the Countries of the Former Soviet Union (Almaty, Kazakhstan, September 1998).
University of Wyoming, September 1999
1. Shilenkov V.G. & Sokolov I.M., 1987. Two new species of Trechini (Coleoptera; Carabidae) from SW Altai. Ann.Entomol.Fenn., vol.53, 102-104.
2. Belousov I.A. & Sokolov I.M.,1988. New species of the terminale-groop of the genus Bembidion Latr. (Coleoptera;Carabidae) from the Caucasus. Proceed.of the Zoolog.Institute, Leningrad, vol.178, 56-61. (in Rus., res. Engl.).
3. Sokolov I.M., 1991. The influence of soil treatments and fertilizers' application on the population of winter wheat pests in Krasnodar region. Proceed.VIZR, vol.91, 41-48 (in Rus., res. Engl.).
4. Tansky V.I., Kriazheva L.P., Dormidontova G.N., Erofeeva L.A., Sokolov I.M., Kapitan A.I., 1992. Entomological monitoring of winter wheat crops at industrial cultivation territories. Agric.biology, N3, 128-133 (in Rus., res. Engl.).
5. Belousov I.A. & Sokolov I.M.,1994. Les especes du sous-genre Bembidion Latr. (Bembidonetolitzkya) du Caucase (Insecta:Coleoptera: Carabidae). Verh.naturwiss.Ver.Hamburg, (NF) 34, 205-248 (in French, res.Engl.).
6. Sokolov I.M. ,1995. Use of negative binomial distribution for monitoring cereal leaf beetle population. Abstr. from All-Russia congress on Plant Protection. Dec.5-10 1995, St.-Pb., 157 (in Rus.).
7. Sokolov I.M., 1995. Possible approaches to cereal leaf beetle management. Abstr. from All-Russia congress on Plant Protection. Dec.5-10, 1995, St.-Pb., 44 (in Rus.).
8. Tansky V.I., Ischkova T.I., Levitin M.M., Sokolov I.M., 1995. Infuence of fertilizers on the biological effect of pesticides. Agrochemistry , N10, 82-88 (in Rus.).
9. Belousov I.A. & Sokolov I.M., 1996. Review of the Caucasian species of the subgenus Peryphanes Jeannel (Coleoptera:Carabidae:Bembidion). Stuttgarter Beitr.Naturk., Ser.A, Nr.549, 40 pp.
10. Zharov V.R., Ischkova T.I., Kondratenko V.I., Levitin M.M., Sokolov I.M., Tansky V.I., 1997. Methodology of construction of computer-advising systems for quick and effective IPM. In: Problems of optimization of phytosanitary situation using plant breeding technologies. (St.-Pb., Dec.1995), St.-Pb., 309-312 (in Rus.).
11. Levitin M.M., Tansky V.I., Ischkova T.I., Sokolov I.M., Kondratenko V.I., Akoulov P.G., Domanov N.M., Bytchkova B.I., 1998. Recommendations for winter wheat protection from the complex of harmful organisms in Belgorod region. St.-Pb., VIZR, 15pp. (in Rus.).
12. Sokolov I.M., 1999. Effect of damage by cereal leaf beetle Oulema melanopus L. (Coleoptera; Chrysomelidae) larvae on the winter wheat ear yield. Entomol.Rev., vol.78, iss.2, 307-315 (in Rus., res.Engl.).
13. Sokolov I.M., 1999. Effect of Adonis antilocust treatments on non-target arthropods. Plant protection in Kazachstan , N4, 12-16 (in Rus.).
14. Levitin M.M., Tansky V.I., Vlasov Ju.I., Sokolov I.M., Zharov V.R., Gontcharov N.R., 1999. Principles of the integrated approach to the problems of plant protection. Plant Protection News, N1, 44-50 (in Rus., res. Engl.).
15. Sokolov I.M., 2000. Field assessment of food assumption of the cereal leaf beetle larvae on the winter wheat. Agric. biology. 1, 113-116 (in Rus., res. Engl.).
16. Sokolov I.M., 2000. How does insecticide control of grasshoppers affect non-target arthropods? In: Grasshoppers and Grassland Health. Managing Grasshopper Outbreaks without Risking Environmental Disaster. J.Lockwood, A.Latchininsky & M.Sergeev (Eds.). Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht /Boston/ London, 181-192.
17. Sokolov I.M., 2000. Fipronil versus Chlorpyrifos: which is softer on non-target organisms in Siberia? In: Advances in Applied Acridology 2000. Published by the Association for Applied Acridology International (AAAI), Laramie, WY, USA: 17-18.