Any class that has not been designated through CCELL as service-learning before must be submitted to CCELL for the new designation before it will be considered LSU service-learning. If a previously designated class is being taught by a faculty member teaching it for the first time, it must be submitted to CCELL for the new designation before it will be considered LSU service-learning.
Approval for S-L designation will generally be granted for a specific faculty member’s course section unless a college/department/school states that ALL sections of the course will include S-L activities (see list of designated classes). Classes will need to be re-certified every 5 years.
To apply for your course to be designated as a S-L course, you must submit the following to the CCELL office via the link below.
1. Completed Service-Learning Designation Application form
2. Course syllabus containing the following:
- Statement clearly identifying the class as service-learning. Provide link to www.lsu.edu/ccell for more info.
- Explanation of the types of S-L experiences used to meet course objectives
- How students will make contact with the community partners and estimated number of hours that students will serve in the community
- Description of the reflection component used to connect the service experience and course goals
- Explanation of or link to LSU student trip insurance policy